I got it from my mother. She is a very tidy woman and expected that from her children as well. I'm sorry to say though that simply expecting it doesn't mean all children will become tidy (I have a very messy sibling that will remain unnamed ;)

So here is a list of some simple things you can do to keep on top of the clutter:
1. (and MOST important) is to never leave a room empty handed! You know how items somehow appear in rooms they don't belong in? If you are heading that direction, or passing by, pick up that item and return it to its rightful place on your way. This is what I find really helps me keep things clean (especially with a toddler who likes to move everything all over the house).

2. Have your children help with clean up. Expect them to clean up an item (ie. train set) before they move onto another set of toys. Also have them clean up the room before you leave it. Of course this doesn't always happen - (especially for impatient me who doesn't like to wait for Hailey to do it by herself - it could take years ;) So for those times when the kids don't do it themselves there is #3

3. use quiet/nap time and bedtime at night to do a full toy pick up in your playroom (what is left from the kiddos 'clean' at least). it really only takes 3 minutes to put the toys in their proper place. Still leaves plenty of time for you to nap or work on a project.
4. be organized! If everything has an assigned place you won't get collections of 'random' items lying around the house. I am a huge fan of tupperware and my label maker. Sort things and label them. Get hooks, shelving units, baskets, etc and sort them out.
5. have a cleaning schedule. You can plan to clean one or two rooms a day (or if it is more your style set aside a full Saturday to do everything at once). I prefer to do similar things together on the same day - laundry day, vacuum day, bathroom day, dusting day, yard day.
6. always clean your kitchen before you go to bed. It makes a HUGE difference to wake up to a clean kitchen then to face a day with a dirty one from the start. I lack all motivation to clean the kitchen if I wake up to it already dirty. It is easier to maintain a clean kitchen than to always be 'catching up'.
7. Along with #6 you can try to unload the dishwasher shortly after it is finished cleaning. Than you have an empty/dirty dishwasher to add to that gets the dirty items off the counter right away.
8. If there is just too much to do (or you are 'too pregnant' or 'too exhausted' with a new baby, or it is spring and every single item in your home needs a clean over) than you can get a team to do all the work so much faster. Find a friend and trade days where you tackle each other's houses as a team. Plus you have someone to chat with while you work :)
oh and of course hubby has to be in charge of his own space (which is the garage, his bathroom, the yard and his side of our room- his domain, not mine). I don't touch those usually. Sometimes I have to pester and nag and guilt trip to get them done but 95% of the time I don't have to do anything with them.
9. allow yourself a 'stash room'. One room in your home where you can chuck stuff that you really don't want to deal with at the time. A room that no one but you sees ( I use my office/craft room). Plan to clean this up every month (or so - mine is going on 6 mths dirty probably). No one has a perfectly clean house ALL the time :)
10. every month choose a room and reorganize the drawers/shelves (you knows those cupboards you toss tupperware into in the kitchen, or the clothes drawers that are unfolded and containing clothes that no longer fit your children - note to self I need to do both of those). It helps you see what items you have and what condition they are in.

11. If you haven't touched it for 6 mths or more - GET RID OF IT! I am not a collector. I will be the mean mom who keeps her children's drawings on the fridge for one day then throws them out (I did this with my students as well - poor kids). If you aren't using it, then you don't need it in your house. Or if it is something you have rediscovered, that you want to use, put it in a place where it will be seen and therefore used. Of course you don't have to throw it out.... sell it, donate or repurpose the item :)
Don't be hard on yourself if things aren't in perfect (or even decent) condition. Right now my home is no 'show home' with our newest addition keeping me tied to the couch all day - and her mouth. *so don't come by to check on me ;)
But if you put the hard work in at first to get it in good order, then maintaining that order will be far easier (and quicker) for days to come. Then you can relax and enjoy your clean home for the 5 minutes it will remain so ;)
Jen
just a note for Ian as I know he is reading this thinking 'great ideas jen - do you do that?' Remember dear... we just had a baby. Think about the way it USED to be (and will be again in the coming months ;)

5 comments:
You know me sooooo well, smarty pants:)
Great tips! I should print that off and put it on my fridge! Don't know if i'll ever get your level, but i'll keep trying :)
I have the same story as your sister! These tips came at the perfect time! Thanks!
I'm with Lara, I don't think I'll ever be at your level, but it's nice to think I could be, lol. I thought having a nice large house would be great... until I started cleaning it!! My children have more toys than ToysRUs and even after they 'clean' it, it still takes me 1-2 hours to finish it up. Sometimes I think about sneaking out at night and throwing every single block and doll and piece of fake kitchen food away... and then I pinch myself back into reality! lol. I'll try to remember this stuff when I do my hardcore cleaning tomorrow (since we just got back from camping and my house is a MESS). Good tips! :)
This is great! I think I actually already do some of these things, but I need to work on the kitchen one. I totally feel like you described: unmotivated to clean a kitchen that starts out dirty in the morning! Thanks!
Post a Comment