This soother is my nemesis!
Christmas eve Hailey, now 28 mths old, made a trade with Santa Claus. She gave him her 2 remaining soothers in exchange for a tool box with tools in it. We had been talking about this trade (to prepare her) for at least a month prior to Christmas.
The time came a week ago and the trade was made. Hailey was a bit hesitant as she put her soothers in Santa's bag (to give to the other kids who need 'soo soos'). She received her tools and all was well until bed time.
We had previously weened Hailey to having her soo soo only when sleeping so she was already fine during the day without it.
Once it came time to go to bed though we had a very upset little girl who wasn't too happy with Santa Claus. Ian and I knew it would be rough for a few days and we prepared ourselves for the night ahead. Hailey woke up numerous times that night asking for her soother and just generally very unhappy. The days went on and she didn't get any better. We had numerous cries for 'soo soo' and then more appeals for a cup of milk. Now when you have to get up 4 times (or more) during the night it is just easier to give in. Since then Hailey has been drinking a lot of milk!
After 4 days we headed back home (as we were at my parents for Christmas) and things got even worse. I think Hailey thought she would get her soother back once we got home from Grandma's. It has been a whole week and things are not getting better. I am so tired of getting woken up all night by a screaming toddler (especially when my baby sleeps 12 hrs straight).
Come tomorrow I am going out and buying a new soother to end the madness. Yes, that's right. I am giving up..... for now. I think that Hailey drinking a cup (or 2) of milk all night is way more damaging that sucking on a soother. She isn't even two and a half yet.... so I will indulge the sleeptime soother addiction a little longer... in hopes that she will give it up on her own before she is 3.
Mommy and Hailey are not ready to be without you yet 'soo soo'!

3 comments:
I'm happy for you and baby to have found a balance that works. My 3.5 year old still asks for her soother at night (and she'd have it all day it I would let her!) and we give it, along with her fave blanket because it gives her comfort. It feels right. Yes, her teeth are shifting because she keeps it in her mouth all night. We'll deal with that when we need to. I'd much prefer to avoid the trauma we gave to our first child (soother related.) You're a good mama, friend.
My oldest boys were super easy to get off their soother. Isaiah was about 18 months and we just couldn't find it one night - he cried for about 30 minutes then went to sleep and never asked for it again. After Denver had his palette repaired he wanted nothing to do with the soother. But Emma - I'm worried about her. She has the strongest personality of them all and she's much older than they were. I haven't even thought about taking it away yet but it's going to be tough. I've heard that you don't really need to worry about it until they get to be a bit older though. Maybe try again next Christmas!
Jonas also only has his soother when he sleeps but he is really attached to it at those times and I dread the thought of taking it completely away! I'm sure it will be a rough transition.
Post a Comment