Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What did you value most during pregnancy?



As my tummy begins to expand I have been thinking about what is to come. I have heard from many about the back pain, sore feet, inability to sleep, clothes that don't fit and etcetera. Since so many of you, my wonderful friends, have already experienced the delights of pregnancy I am looking for some tips. Was there some item you couldn't have lived without while you were pregnant? Is there any cream you would swear its effectiveness by? What clothes were the most comfortable? What moments meant the most to you? How did you help your husband feel a part of the pregnancy (besides waiting on you hand and foot for all illnesses and cravings)?

I would love to hear your advice, especially about items that may be a lifesaver for me in the next couple months. I am already having trouble sleeping as I am up at least twice every night to eat or go to the bathroom. I think the sleep loss that is common with new babies has already begun for me. Anywho, I would love to hear your stories and recommendations if you have a moment to drop a line!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Hey Jen! I have a saved word document that I send to most of my friends that are expecting for the 1st time with tips on what to take to the hospital as well as a million breastfeeding tips that I learned through painful experience. I'd be happy to send you a copy, I just need your email address.

As for pregnancy advice, I got really sick of all the "pregnancy is the most wonderful thing" kind of advice because I really wasn't comfortable at all being pregnant - I read a great book - The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy - it's a total light-humored read about the good and bad of pregnancy and also had a bunch of tips. It was good reading when I couldn't sleep at night due to my expanding body. You should check it out.

Also another great book we got "On Becoming Babywise" was the best thing we ever purchased and read. I swear by it for helping your baby get on a predictable schedule and for having a good sleeping baby. We used it with McKenna and she started sleeping through the night at 2.5 months and we haven't ever been up with her in the night since. It's a must read.

Hope this helps.

Motherof3 said...

Ok, so those maternity pants from motherhood which are called the secret fit pants. Very comfy, dont get fooled by other high maternity pants, they arent as comfortable! I also loved the pants from Old Navy which has a thick band which just sits under the belly. Shirts are easy!
So for Dave, I found he got more involved when I bought one of those heart rate monitor thingys for the baby. Other than that, it is tough for them to really get it. When the baby really starts moving, feeling that helps them. They really will get excited once they see the baby. We did a lot of 3d Ultrasounds from UC baby. Look it up. Very fun.
Good luck, try to enjoy it as much as possible. It can really suck at times, hopefully your all day sickness will end during 2nd trimester. Do not stop taking Diclectin though even if you feel better!!! It will come back! haha I took it right till the end with Luke. Sleep as much as possible even when it gets hard to sleep. Dont feel guilty, nap whenever you need to. Anyway, this is fun. Facebook me anytime! We are so happy for you and cant wait to see this little arrival!

Lahni said...

DICLECTIN!! And if your still sick - take more. I took 8 a day with D right up to the very end. I have a cousin who took 12 a day. Obviously, check with your doc first though!
The other thing I found is that my back got really sore, really early in the pregnancy. What really helped me was to get a little travel pillow and sleep with it between my knees and a large, really supportive pillow behind me back. Worked wonders for nighttime back pain.
Oh and you have to have a pair of maternity yoga pants. They are amazing.
I could seriously go on forever...I think I stop now!

the fellers said...

well, where do I start? I am totally one to complain, more than appreciate what pregnancy brings. I defiantly would suggest to make sure you take lots of pictures of your growing belly, with my first one, I did not take very many, like a handful, so with my second, I decided I would take more...and I did, and I am so glad. I love to look back and see what I looked like...brings that giddy feeling back. Also, I would savor every minute of them kicking you and moving from the inside. Oh man, I miss that feeling when I am not pregnant. It is just one of those feelings that you can NOT explain, and you only know what I am talking about if you have been pregnant...such a valuable feeling. I need to REALLY remember this, because both my kids were SO active, from day one...I think I felt Rylee at week 14 and she didnt stop moving, seriously, and she still doesnt stop moving, getting up in my ribs, but I do miss it...crazy as it sounds. I would for sure make sure the enjoy the labor and delivery. I have a sister in law who is due anytime, and I love to talk to her about getting ready to do labor and delivery. It is the best part of it all for me....well the last couple of weeks on, I hate the contractions and pain, but the feeling, OH THAT FEELING! I love it....I am so not ready to have another one right now, but the if I could just have those last few weeks and moments every day, it would be great. That thick spirit when the baby comes in the room, is something you just can not describe in words. Enjoy it Jen, just enjoy it....I know it is cliche, but really, they are so much easier inside then out. As for Ian...I always loved taking Shon to my doctor's appointments with me, and would schedule them so that they were after work....especially with the ultrasounds. I think it is so important to do everything you can for the husbands/fathers, because they just dont understand the way we do. And they cant feel the baby move as soon as you do....so keep having him feel for the baby moving, and make sure he is there to help pick out clothes, doctor appointments, etc....have him read stories and talk to the baby...just some suggestions! I am so excited for you guys!

Julie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! paul just told me you're pregnant, I'm SOOOO happy for you! yay!!!

sorry to hear you're not feeling great tho! but I've heard that the sicker mommy is, the healthier baby will be :) old wive's tale, probably, but the believing doesn't hurt, right? :)

ditto on "Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy". also, she's got a guide to the 1st year. both way fun reads.

my favorite thing (before AND after baby came) was my body pillow. skip the ridiculously overpriced "pregnancy pillows" and just get a regular body pillow for a fraction of the price at walmart. maybe the more expensive is better somehow, but I found my walmart body pillow worked wonders too.

congrats again!

the fellers said...

haha...no...dont worry, we do still have snow, those pictures were taken in St. George on our trip...their weather is always A LOT different than ours, we were loving the beautiful weather down there! We still have winter for a few more months...usually about the end of March or so...although it DID snow April 24th last year...I only remember that cause that was the day Rylee was born, and we were driving in it! haha

Just Rhonda said...

I would also agree on the DICLECTIN! It makes me super tired and it's really expensive but SO worth it.
My advice would be to sleep as much as possible. Cat naps if that's all you can do. I'll have to think more about other things.

Fernandez Family said...

Oh, Jen. You've opened a can of worms. Good advice on the books and pillows. My pregnancies were both so different that they come with different advice. Diclectin was my best friend...but so was gravol when it wasn't working. Just keep eating - the more I kept something in my tummy the less sick I felt. Even if it was Ding Dongs. My pregnancy with Bruno was a breeze and anything that was bad or uncomfortable was totally overshadowed by my desire to have him. After trying for a while - actually being pregnant and going through all the discomfort and pain of it doesn't seem so bad. I'd do it all over again. You will soon forget the sick days. And when you see your baby it will make it all worth it! They are expensive - but Lululemon pants are the greatest. They never cut in or make you feel too large and can be worn before, during and after without changing. Make sure you get up, shower and do your make up every day - it made me feel so much better about myself even on my sickest days. Nothing worse than feeling gross...and looking gross! We are excited to hear more about your pregnancy as you go!!p