Sunday, August 23, 2009

Due Date!

I got my donut pillow and can now sit down long enough to blog about our Hailey!

Today is supposed to be her due date and I must say how grateful I am that she came 4 days early! I just knew it... all you doubters!!! ;)

We are in heaven (the heaven that includes sleep deprivation and crying) and are loving it! Hailey is such a beauty and we just can't get enough of looking at her. Our teeny little girl (yay for small babies) decided on Wednesday August 19th that she was ready to join our family. I had a Dr. appoint that afternoon and was already 3 cm dialated. My fabulous Dr. helped speed the process along which sent me home at 3:30 in the afternoon with fairly regular (8min apart) contractions. These continued throughout the afternoon and evening... getting quite unbearable (the back pain at least) by 11:00 pm when we went in to the hospital (5 min apart at this point).

I was hoping for good news when we got there but found out I was still 3 cm.... curse it all! They gave me some morphine which thankfully took away the back pain so I could rest (as much as you can rest while in labour). Ian was lucky enough to get 3 hrs sleep at this point which he really needed to get through the whole night.

It was a NEW moon that night and I don't know how that affects anything, but the labour ward was CRAZY. So busy... we couldn't get a private room and had 2 roomates in and out during our short stay...(the first wasn't in active labour yet and sent home - the second we didn't see long enough as we went off to delivery). Due to the busyness of the night I was somewhat neglected and numerous pages to the nurse were ignored. The pain was worse and more morphine was given at 3:30 (when I was STILL 3 cm dialated) but this time it didn't do a thing!

I was left in my agony to endure the lovely back labour pains which became extremely intense after I had requested an epidural (which never ended up happening). As the nurses were admitting the second roomate I felt like I needed to push (5:30 am-ish) and voiced this out loud... the nurse poked her head around the corner looking paniced as I said my water broke and she realized I was 9.5 cm dialated and ready to push this thing out. It was a little hectic after that as buttons were being pressed, nurses running and dr.s called. They quickly wheeled me to delivery as I became frantic realizing I wasn't going to get my epidural..... a little laughing gas and a stern nurse brought me back to my senses and together with Ian my wonderful 'birth partner' we brought our daughter into the world (in less than 20 min of pushing).

We are thrilled... what a feeling it is to see your baby for the first time. Hailey Anne is healthy and strong... not to mention stubborn... I wonder who she got that from?!?

We are doing well... recovering and learning the ropes of being new parents. I just can't wait till the stitches heal so I can feel human again.

Thanks for all the love and well wishes. We look forward to introducing Hailey to you all.









3 comments:

the fellers said...

NO EPIDURAL!!?!? I am sorry....what a great story! I am glad you got your wish and got to go early. I know what you mean about the NEW moon. With BOTH of my kids, I was kicked into labor by the weather...Scoty was just a barimetric change and Rylee was a huge thunderstorm. I know that, beacause me and about 30 other women had babies the same day, I swear! And in the same hospital! love it, she is a doll, and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Lahni said...

Congrats! Labour is such a surreal experience. You should write anything important down now while you still remember it, because you'll be surprised at how much you forget (from the sleep deprivation!) I look back at the first three months of both my babies' lives and they are kind of a fog.
I'm so excited for you. I'm sure millions of people are telling you this but you should do your best to enjoy this time because it doesn't last long and you WILL miss it. I can't wait for my little one to be born because it's such a special time - even if you are sleep deprived!
Congrats again, Jen. I know you're going to be a terrific mom!

Lahni said...

Oh yeah - you need to change the name of your blog now that there are three of you!