Thursday, January 6, 2011

Play room

I finally decided to make use of our empty bedroom upstairs! 

When we first moved it was an office, then a guest room but both of those were eventually moved to the basement. 

In 5 mths it will be Hailey's 'big girl' room, once the baby comes, but since it has not been in use it has become the 'dumping ground'.  I put a bunch of Hailey's baby stuff in there, a collection of items for a future garage sale, empty boxes and other random junk that I really just didn't want to put away properly.  In the mean time my living room has become overrun with toys... so why not clean up the room and get my living room back!

(sorry no pics of the pre-mess)

Now my living room is 'kid-free' (though looks grotesquely empty) and I can lock Hailey in a room to play with her toys ;) (kidding, but also not).  We moved our old t.v. in there with a dvd player so she can watch movies.  The bad thing is that Hailey mostly goes in there, sits in her chair and looks at the tv waiting for me to put something on.  She says 'show? show?' over and over.  It is pretty cute.  I cave if I have stuff to do that needs her out of the way (shower, sweeping the floor, unloading the dishwasher) but most recently I am trying to get her to play more.  I guess I have to re-teach my tv-a-holic how to play!  Curse those 6 weeks of illness that forced me to put her in front of the tube.  I have forever ruined her ;)  Just kidding.

So here are some pics of the temporary play space and my empty living room.

*side note, if the door is closed and Hailey wants out she just politely knocks and waits for me to let her out.  I love her!

once I put all her toys (from upstairs) in here it didn't seem like very much at all!



* the back corner doesn't have anything in it.  It is a long skinny room.  A funny shape and it will be difficult to figure out her new bedroom set up.  Still excited to do it though.  Just waiting for the spring to show life.  I don't want to do everything so soon that I have nothing let to do in these 5 mths as we wait for baby.

where can you get non-slip mats to go under carpets?  It slides around all the time.

the glass cupboard on the right?  what are those called?

someday that keyboard will be replaced with a beautiful black, shiny grand piano.... someday ;)

I'd like to add a nice espresso coloured 9 cube shelf with baskets, along with matching coffee/side tables.  I think it will help fill the space nicely.  Also contemplating whether to paint my grandmother's (what is the name of those glass door cupboards?).  It is an heirloom and in pretty good shape, but do I keep it 'old school' or give it an upgrade?  I am keeping it either way.... it just might move to some 'less conspicuous' location if it stays 'as is'.

5 comments:

Laura said...

If it's an antique but you hide it in the corner since you don't love it then what's the point. I say it and turn it into something you love.

the fellers said...

curio cabinet....that is what it is called...I think...I want a play room so bad, we used to have one, then had a kid, then another one, and our spare bedroom went out the window, now I have too many toys and not enough space, maybe I just need to get rid of some toys?

tallmama said...

walmart sells the non-slip stuff by the meter....WAYYYYY cheaper than walmart..

Unknown said...

Lara you said walmart twice? did you mean fabricland is cheaper than walmart?

Royall said...

Home Depot carries a Martha Stewart furniture line that makes 9 cube expresso bookcases. We bought a white version for Jonas' room to organize his toys. It's just veneer and particleboard but if your looking for something cheap you can't beat the price.