Saturday, June 25, 2011

Busy before?

I am wondering what I spent all my time doing before Quinn was born?  I know I thought I was really busy and didn't have time to get things done... but now I REALLY don't have time.  This summer is going to be a real test of time management.  I will master going out with 2 children.  I will get my butt back to the gym.  I will have a  clean house and cooked dinner.  Some days at least ;)  I love my girls but am struggling not to lose my mind.  By the end of the week I am really not a nice Mommy.... especially with the lack of sleep.

Hailey has started to act out.  I guess she is not happy with the lack of attention she is getting.  I am surprised it took this long to really show itself.  I am working to remember to take special moments with her and give her attention while Quinn is napping.  Her tantrums and freak outs decrease dramatically when she receives this attention so I better keep it going so I don't go crazy.

Ian came home Friday night to a VERY crazy wife.  I almost ran out the door saying "I just had to get away".  You know that feeling where your heart is pounding and you are about to break down in tears in a complete melt down?  That is what I had.  I escaped just in time (thanks to my super husband).  It was wonderful to drive a quiet van with no children demanding my attention - or repeating phrases over and over AND OVER.  Is that normal for toddlers?  Hailey will say the same sentence repeatedly, even after I have acknowledged and answered her.  Make me CRAZY!  Well I enjoyed my brief escape as I picked up a couple items at the store, filled the van with gas and picked up a booster juice for myself and my family.  It was probably only a hour but I was able to come back calm and prepared to face bedtime... and what ended up being a bad night with Quinn.

I am so grateful for Ian!  He knows when I need help and does whatever he can to make things easier for me.  I am a truly blessed wife!  I am also super grateful for my daughters.  This young age isn't my favourite time but it is a precious time that I know I will miss as they become more independant.

5 comments:

tallmama said...

Hang in there Jen! I've my fair share of days like that!! I remember you were there when you first moved in and helped me thru some of them.
There was one time I was just waiting at the door for Jayme to get in, I had already drawn my bath, dinner was somewhat ready, the second he walked in I said, Choking thru tears, "i'll be in our bedroom till they go to bed" and he took over till bed time.
Some times all you need is a few min. of peace, take it when you can get it!
{{hugs}}

Lahni said...

I totally know how that feels! That's what happened to me when I had three. Two was a lot easier for me but my kids were almost 4 years apart and Isaiah was such a good helper. Also, I wasn't nursing Denver and once a week John let me sleep through the night feeding. And Denver slept through the night REALLY early. (He's still our best sleeper.)
You handled it fairly well I think. That's just what you need to do. When I got to that point I would put Emma in her bed and Denver in front of the TV and lock myself into my bedroom. And yes, it's completely normal for Hailey to repeat the same things over and over. Denver still does that and he's four and a half!
Keep it up - you're a great Mom and those first few months are really awful - for almost everyone. But we are so sleep deprived, we live in a fog and don't really remember it later or we'd probably never have any more children!!

Megan said...

Have you already forgotten how long it took you to get out the door when your FIRST baby was brand new? All the stuff you packed in your diaper bag that you didn't EVER need? And the way that you missed the freedom that came from not having a little person who required more time and attention that you even thought you had? The jump from one to two kids is overwhelming at first for sure, but you will adjust and so will they. This is all still so new for your family- give it some time! And give yourself regularly, scheduled breaks. If that means going to the gym, going to the store, or just having an uninterrupted shower, just let it be your time to breathe. It sounds like you may be trying to accomplish too much too fast. Screaming kids (and a sad mama) in a clean house with dinner on the table is not as successful as happy kids with a happy mama and Subway on the table.

doyles said...

so first i just wanted to say congratulations on your baby Jen!! your girls are way too cute. secondly im really glad to know im not alone. I definitely have my "crazy days" for sure... timmy is 3 and tux is 1 now and im just starting to feel like im getting the hang of things, this is the part where i think, i cant wait for them to grow up!

The Wolff Den said...

Jen...I totally remember adding #2 and how ridiculously long it took to get kids ready to go out the door. I promise it gets better--I'm loving having two kids that can walk and I'm a wee bit nervous to add a newborn to the mix again. It's so much fun when the littlest gets big enough to interact with their older sibling and to see them play together. Best of luck...tantrums and newborns aren't the easiest to deal with! You'll make it!