Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Our Yard

Our yard has been getting a major overhaul this spring! When we had purchased the house it had been sitting empty for a whole year and previously had a young single owner/tenants who didn't touch the yard. Due to the neglect all of the plants were overgrown/dead and OUT OF CONTROL! I wish I had taken before pictures but was not on the ball. This is what we have done so far... with many more plans to come.


This is at the front of the house. My mom (champion plant puller) helped us to dig out our ugly/dead/overgrown plants. We pulled 3 out from around/under these two large bushes. These two large bushes will also be going but probably not till next year as that will be a huge task. These plants are too big and block all of our basement light. We will change it up by pulling out all the rocks, putting in soil and planting small bushes or flowers here next year. We are also going to pull up the half dead bush in the middle of our front lawn, remove the rock and replace it with sod so our entire front yard is just grass.


This corner still has 2 bushes left it in (for now) the closer one you see in the pic will be pulled out. Why don't people look at how large a bush is going to get once full grown before they plant? This space does not allow it to grow properly. The remaining space around these bushes was also full of other terrible looking scraggly bushes. We are also going to replace the logs and take out the rock for more sod. We have such a small yard that we are trying to take advantage of 'play space' for the kiddo/s.


This is the other angle of the same corner. This bush WILL be staying. I am a minimalist but I will not take out everything. Plus this one fits nicely and is in pretty good shape.


What is currently left of our soil that will be placed in the rocky areas we pull out. We had the soil dumped out on the back burm. Hopefully the grass can recuperate :/


Here is the pile of dead bushes we pulled out. Also out on the burm :/ We definitely need to make a run to the dump. We just need a truck to do it!

Yes, this space also had a huge overgrown bush in it that was growing through the deck. A new log will be placed from the rock to the deck post. Rock filled behind and sod put in front. will look so much nicer and be easier to cut the lawn.

Underneath these large poplars we are going to keep the rock because it would be a pain to mow around. Our back gate needs some repairs too! I am pretty sure it should be straight and not angled like that. It doesn't open properly.

This corner was also full of bushes/plants we pulled out. The huge rock is staying, I love it! On the other side of this tree we will be planting raspberry bushes (thank you Preete's for the shoots). Pic below is the other side where the bushes will be going.


And HERE IT IS! The grand finale and beautiful raised garden that Ian put in (with help from my Dad and Bro). I think it is great and am so excited about our garden this year. Hopefully we can still get a good crop, even with the late planting.


Here is the sprinkler system Ian put in the garden as well. There are 3 nozzles which aren't so easy to see in the pic.


In order to get this garden in, 2 small/dead poplars where removed along with rock that ran along the whole fence line.

We planted in our garden beats, lettuce, spinach, peas, beans, carrots, tomatoes and transplanted our chives from last year. I am in the process of making cute garden markers to identify the different plants.

3 comments:

tallmama said...

It looks so awsome Jen! (and Ian) you guys have been working hard at it. I love the raised garden bed, it looks like it will be very easy to maintain.

the fellers said...

so fun...I always say I hate yard work, but I love when it is all done, and really it isnt all that bad, cause I get a lot of thinking done while I am working in the yard! I cant believe some of the spots with the logs and then dirt on the outside of the log? Doesnt make sense? I cant wait to see pics of when the sod is put in and it is all done, and the raspberry bushes! YAY!

Royall said...

Love the raised garden! I can't wait for Matt to landscape our yard! It won't be for another 1-2 years though.