Monday, March 14, 2011

One of those people?

Have you heard of Debbie Downer?  Years ago I saw the live premier of this SNL skit with Lindsay Lohan.  I was with my roomates and our good friend Dan Harker.  I must say it is the funniest thing I ever recall watching (though having seen it so many times since then it has lost some of it's humour... but not all).

 
It may be a great, funny skit but lately I have encountered some real life Debbie Downers!  You know the type  of person who always feels a need to tell you that things could always be worse than it is?  That person who traded in their sympathetic ear for one of doom and gloom.  I wonder if they think that what they are saying is helping in any way?  If they think they are being uplifting in those situations?

People need to be free to speak what they are feeling and be able to recieve some empathy in return without being guilted into feeling bad that their struggles aren't as difficult as someone else's.  That is what friendship is.... supporting, caring for and listening to each other.

Often times I really don't feel that hard done by.  I actually feel very blessed and think the things that come our way are often funny (not 'ha ha' funny but 'of course' kind of funny).  Like "of course we are having numerous things break right when our tax return is set to come in and we were planning on buy carpet, or another vehicle".

We truly are blessed that these recent 'home repairs' that need to be done can be done without going into debt for them.  It might end up being a big blessing that the new carpet is delayed if our basement ends up flooding this spring from all the snow melting!!!!  Maybe we can get some free carpet ;)

I know I have sometimes been a Debbie Downer... okay probably a lot when I was a teenager/young adult.  But to be on the recieving end I realize how useless and depressing it is.  I am motivated to never again start the sentence 'at least you aren't  _________________________'!

No comments: