Uhg…. It can’t be avoided right?!? I hate to put my ‘mommy-face’ on in public
when it involves discipline. Now that
doesn’t mean I won’t do it… I just don’t like people to see the process. I feel so vulnerable as a parent when I have
to show my ‘mean’ side (and I say ‘mean side’ lightly as I am MUCH nicer to my
children in public than I am at home).
I have been pretty lucky so far with a very obedient little
girl but Hailey is still a toddler and does, once in a while, require
correction.
Today was one of those days!
I have been trying to get to the gym twice a week with the girls (I
usually miss almost 50% of my bookings due to sick kids) but this morning we
made it there. The ladies at my gym’s
child-care center are great, and they love me (aka – my kids). I dropped the girls off, had a good workout
and came back to pick them up. Quinn was
super hungry so I needed to feed her before we drove home. While feeding Q, I noticed Hailey’s droopy
diaper and I asked her to come over so I could check if she needed a change
before we went home. She didn’t listen
(had I known it was going to be a battle of will I wouldn’t have bothered as it
wasn’t a big deal, I would find out eventually if her diaper was dirty)…. The battle
ensued and Hailey refused to come… I gave her the customary warning of an
upcoming time out if she didn’t listen and she didn’t…. so hello TIME OUT in
public.
It really wasn’t a big deal….. yes I had to drag her to a
chair, there were tears, she got up once but sat back down after I told her to,
and then she came over to talk to me when her time was up (she almost refused
to apologize but finally did). Phew, we
survived it without a huge ordeal I just hate how it makes me feel…. So exposed,
vulnerable, unsure….. Do we all feel that way as parents? I hope I’m not the only one.
I just want to do what is best for my children AND I want
them to learn important qualities like empathy, compassion, respect, obedience
and responsibility…. Even if it makes me feel uncomfortable.
| My baby girl is so big now... pig tails took away my baby :( |
Today’s sweet moment:
I asked Hailey what she wants to be when she grows up (I’ve never asked
her this before). I said “a doctor?” (She
was playing with her electronic Alphie robot and it was a card about
professions). She said “no, Hailey want
to grow up and be Mommy”. (Insert ‘awww’
here) It was pretty cute!
| Poor Quinn has maybe been read to 3 times in her 9 months of life.... she apparently LOVES books... the second child is so neglected! |
7 comments:
Who was it that again that asked her those questions? Love you!
I think the more times you have to discipline your kids in public the less you care about the people who might stop to watch you. I've been known to walk away from my screaming 4 year old and have him come chasing after me. People who have had kids and remember what it was like feel bad for YOU, and people who don't have kids can watch and learn because we all end up dealing with cranky/angry/poorly behaved kids out in public sometime or another. Sounds like you handled it just right!
I'm dreading that same moment, Jen :) I'm sure there are lots of moms who do the same things and feel the same way, though! You're clearly doing a great job!
The more it happens, the more confident you'll become. I can relate to feeling a little intimidated disciplining my kids around older/finished moms. But whatever. I'm the mom.
It feels like whenever I have to discipline in public that it seems like my voice all of a sudden is super loud because I'm imagining everyone is stopping to listen to the mean mom bawling out her kids. I have an over active imagination, but it's true, I hate public discipline too.
Ugh...disciplining in public is so uncomfortable. And I'm sure it will only get more uncomfortable once my arms our full of newborns so that I can't pick Jonas up like a sack of potatoes if he is really inclined to make a scene. I love those cute pigtails! Your little girl is looking so BIG!
you did exactly what you should. I am a firm believer that my kids will get discipline in and out of public. Otherwise they will learn that they can misbehave in public and get away with it....no good! So, good job! hard as it is, it will be WAY worth it in the long run!
Post a Comment