Welcome to ORGANIZE IT Mondays.
Each Monday I will post about an organization project I have completed in my own home. I will post 'before' and 'after' photos with a little blurb about how I made that space more efficient and tidy for myself and my family. It could be anything from a massive room makeover (that isn't going to happen often) or a simple drawer tidying solution.
Today's task was all about TOY STORAGE!
This is our living room upstairs! Initially I had big plans that it would be an 'adult only' space with NO toys. Didn't happen! Children come with way too many 'extras' that take up valuable floor space. ie: swing, exersaucer, bouncy chair, bumbo, kiddie chair, floor mat play center (Seriously? and that is just what we have upstairs). Secondly I find myself on the main floor of my home 95% of the day, therefore I had to cave on the toys upstairs rule.
For the last 2 years (since baby #1 was born) I have used these large bins to hold their toys (one is all of Q's baby toys and the other are H's toys).
These present 3 very large problems.
- They are very ugly! They may hold a lot of toys but they are always in full view.
- They are so big that H literally falls head-over-heels trying to get toys out of the bottom.
- Only the toys on top really get played with. How is she supposed to find and pull out her Buzz Lightyear if it is packed under mounds of other toys?
Solution...
A new storage unit (thank you Ikea and your Expedit shelving)
It allowed me to sort bins (large toys, other toys, baby toys, stuffies, books) and get rid of everything else that didn't fit (aka pack away for rotation later on). I likely will trade these toys with the ones downstairs as she doesn't get to play with those often.
I think it is very practical and looks slightly classier than the open tupperware bins.
An extra bonus is that this shelf can double as a bench!!!! Wooo hooo! I plan on making a cushion for it over the winter.
Do you have something staring at you everyday just begging to be organized?
3 comments:
I'm so impressed! I never thought of turning a shelving unit on its side - brilliant!!! It looks so great (I have the same issue with my kid's toys). You've inspired me to organize! I look forward to seeing your next project .. and the cushion you make for your new bench!
It looks great Jen!! Smart solution! When you make the cushion get a couple chunks of that grippy stuff you put under area rugs, or they use them on car dashes as well (they sell it at fabric land) and put it on a few spots and the cushion will stay in place a lot better.
It looks Awesome Jen!!! I really like it :)
Post a Comment