Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Two Cents' Worth - Potty Training

Potty Training....

sigh

I'm beginning to think that keeping children in diapers is WAY easier.

We spent the entire morning on the toilet (at least 10 separate occasions) trying to get Hailey to poop on the potty.  Nothing.... even though it is her 'usual' poop time.  I've got all the tempting treats and prizes and she wants to go.... but just doesn't know how.  She will pee anytime we put her on but still doesn't tell us when she has to go.  She probably just isn't ready yet.  I will likely wait till after Christmas to really focus on training her.

Until then I will enjoy not having my day revolve around bathroom visits every 20 min (that is even more frequent than pregnancy bathroom visits).

So today I am asking for your tips and advice about potty training.  How did you get your children to use the toilet?

Check out this blog for the MOST HILARIOUS cartoon depictions of motherhood!  The latest post was on potty training as well!

5 comments:

Kara said...

It's totally easier to keep them in diapers. I decided to listen to the advice of many older and wiser sisters-in-law: when they're ready they'll let you know. That means it's not on your time line. However, when they've successfully transitioned from diaper to toilet (simple praise and acknowlegement, questions answered, too) and regression occurs, well, based on personal experience, bribes/charts/stickers are a good thing.

#1 toilet trained herself in a week because she was ready. she was 3.5.

#2 in a few weeks. was 3yrs.

#3 is 15 months and I"m not even remotely interested in introducing the toilet yet. Maybe right before bath I could sit him on there, but I'm a definite believer in When They're Ready.

And I could give a hoot about what 'society' says is right. But that's just my two cents. lol.

Kara said...

Oh, a very important thing for your sanity as a mother (especially because it seems were are of similar personality and have similar personalitied children….)

Keeping your babe in diapers until she's ready will be of FAR LESS stress in your life. And in hers. Trust me.

Megan said...

It's honestly about them 1)being ready and 2)being interested. You have to have both pieces for potty training to work. Bens was 26 months when he was potty trained and it took less than a week before he was completely out of diapers (night included). Emmett is 29 months and he has no interest in using the potty. We offer, he declines. He isn't scared of it, he just doesn't care. Poop messes are the WORST though, so I sympathize for sure!

tallmama said...

With the girls, I felt presured in to potty training them, Keera was a month away from 3y, and got a really bad diaper rash on her inner leg, and we had to let her go neked, and it just clicked, she night trained herself, with in a month or so. It was about a month of daytime before I felt like, yes, she's potty trained. Ella was a month before turning 4 (same time as keera) and we just kinda forced her as Keera was getting it, but Ella was more ready this time. (we had been trying off and on for a year!) Ella was more resistant with the poop thing, I regret all the yelling, time outs etc, it was just out of my frusteration. She took a year to night train, but we could care less (she just started being dry, but would have accidents on some nights for a while.)

Jett I could care less when he got trained as it was so stressful with the girls. He just showed sighns (asking, trying, interest in the potty and undies) right when we were moving (so he was 2m after he turned 3) and he just wanted to so we went with it. He had 3 accidents the day we moved in to our house, and his been great ever since. Still not night trained, but I"m noticing about equal dry to wet pull ups in the morning.

Things we tryed:
rewards ect with the girls, didn't work
-candy with jett, worked
-watches with alarms set for the girls to go potty (oh potty watch thinks its time to go pee!) -worked but hard to keep up with re-setting the alarm
-praise (potty party, very happy mom) worked for both.
-dumping the poop from the diaper into the potty to reinforce that's where poop goes- worked

Big thing is just to wait till they and you are ready, there will be signs, it will happen before kindergarden and diapers are way easier than the first few months of potty training!! Dont' feel pressured because of socity, family, friends, what other kids could do, wanting your kid to be potty trained at a young age. It will happen!
Good luck and stay saine :)

Anonymous said...

Kassie was also afraid to go poop in the potty too, she had been telling us she had to pee for a while, but would come from naps with a full dirty pull-up like she had held it in until we put a pull-up on her at nap time. We'd been telling her she can have a slurpee if she poops in the potty (starting in June - a good time for a slurpee and she didn't earn one until Halloween - a little cold!) But still once in a while we will go for family slurpees or blizzards just because she's doing a good job. It works for her but every child is different. We're still in the process (and having a set back lately since her baby brother was born) but we all learned somehow and they will all get there someday too. Good luck staying sane through all of it, and I'll do my best too.